Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mother's Day

Early on in our marriage I held high expectations for Mother's day: flowers, a present, breakfast in bed . . ., but unfortunately those expectations were not always met. In the past Mother's Day has coincided with the father/son camp out. Several years the boys would get back, get busy with Saturday plans, and it would be 8 pm at night and Scott would say - "Oh, I'd better go out and get you something."(while he's thinking, "I hope she tells me not to go.") I of course would reply, "No honey, it's OK - it's too late to go out."(while thinking, "He's better go out and get me something.")

As time went on, Mother's day seemed like an aggravation. I felt under appreciated, and Scott felt like it was a hastle. Last year I asked for something new. I asked for a day off. A day where I wouldn't have to do anything. I wouldn't have to cook, dress the kids, go anywhere, or do anything. Scott didn't buy into that based on previous experiences, but I kept pushing for my day. He came through like a hero. He may have given me a present - I don't remember, but what he and the kids did for me was amazing and wonderful. They pampered me like a queen: breakfast in bed, lunch and dinner made, dishes done, and things picked up. Most of all they gave me time. I had time to read, write, play with the kids, and all of it guilt-free. I didn't feel like I had to do the dishes or make the bed or play with the kids, but I wanted to - because I didn't have to. I knew that if I didn't do it, then it would still get done. WOW!

This year I asked for the same thing. Scott jokingly (or not) pleaded with me to just let him get me a present, but I firmly replied that I just wanted my free-day. It has been just as wonderful as last year. Eggs, toast, bacon and orange juice for breakfast (in bed of course), with presents and cards from the kids and flowers from Scott (thank you Scott). I only did two girls hair, I got to go to Relief Society, we got chocolate from the men in the ward, Scott made lunch and dinner and the kids helped with dishes, I laid outside in the sun on the swing and read a book - heaven!

My perception of Mother's day has drastically changed, and now it is one of my favorite days of the year. I hope all mothers can realize how important and valuable they are, and that they too get a "free-day" at least once a year.

No comments: