Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 Here We Come

My motto for this year is going to be, "Live the rest of the year like it's the first week of the year."  I'm always a big New Year's resolution kind of person.  It just seems like a good time to reflect back on what I accomplished last year and where I want to go this next year.

Goals for me always begin with a dream like:  be financially free of debt, or be skinny, or have a successful business.  All very attainable dreams, but just need a lot of smaller steps to get there.  An article I read lately on staying motivated talked about the parable of the Tortoise and the Hare.  Both had similar objectives - get to the finish line, but both had very different ways of achieving their objectives.  

I picture the Hare as being pretty cocky and sure of himself.  Things have come easy to him in the past, he is going up against a much slower opponent, and this race doesn't seem to be a particular challenge.  It really isn't a challenge.  He could have finished the race long before the tortoise.  Maybe it was even more of a pride thing for him, how galling to be pitted against such an inferior contestant, what could the tortoise possible bring to the race that could in any way test the hare's abilities.

What courage the tortoise had to have to meet the hare on such an intimidating field.  I picture his mom saying to him/her before he/she left, "Win or lose, you do your best and know that in the end it was the courage to try something seemingly impossible that will make all the difference in the race."  Throughout the race he just kept plugging along, staying focused on the goal, and not letting life sidetrack him.

In the end we know the hare, so far out in front of the tortoise, stopped to take a nap.  The tortoise kept moving forward and finished the race the winner.  

Often at the beginning of the year, or whenever I begin a new goal, I am like the hare - quick to start, easily sidetracked, and ready to take a nap at the first bit of effort I must expend.  This year I would like to be more like the tortoise with my goals, taking slow steps, keeping my eye on the finish line, and knowing that God is in my corner telling me, "Win or lose, you do your best and know that in the end it was the courage to try something seemingly impossible that will make all the difference in the race."  To that end I have tried to be really realistic with my goals, schedule things out, and take those small steps instead of bounding down the lane as fast as I can.

Moving on to family matters, here's a quick update on everyone:
Scott is working diligently on his thesis and applying for jobs.  I am trying to get my books in order for end of the year accounting and taxes.  Sean is still in the Provo, MTC working on his Portuguese and hoping to get his visa to Brazil.  Megan is preparing for a drama competition and a couple of debate meets, and will turn 17 in just over a week.  Kimber is catching up on Psych episodes (one of her favorite shows) and working out with Megan doing Just Dance 4 on the Wii.  Brooke is pleading with me to put her back in gymnastics, and is flying through a book series call "The Warriors."  Kendra is loving her technology classroom, has been faithful in writing to her brother, is a wiz on the wii.

We have been renting out part of our house for the last couple of years in an effort to supplement our limited income.  Our first tenant was a Hispanic woman named Patricia, then it was Kristine Bingham and her two boys Francisco (14) and Christopher (7), and now we have Harrison and Layna Roark with their big Rottweiler Jedi.  The first time Molly met Jedi she piddled all over the floor, but it didn't take long before they were both tussling and chasing in the back yard.  I think Molly will like having a friend to play with.

Favorite scripture story of the week:  Ammon and the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's.  I love their devotion and their desire to no more do evil.  They buried their weapons of war (bad habits and evil intentions) and never looked back.  They were willing to forsake their sins for Christ and are such a great example of being joyful even in the midst of trials.

The quote for last week comes from Brooke's mouth:  "Megan how old were you when you were 5?"

Movie of the month:  Les Miserables (I am the only one who has seen it, but I should have taken a tissue or three . . . it was pretty emotional).








No comments: