Sunday, January 27, 2013

Nerf wars, modeling, slush and blood

I always get to the end of the week and am reminded of how many pictures I didn't take.

On Martin Luther King day (Monday, January 21) the Nielsons invited us to pit our mad Nerf gun skills against theirs at the church.  With obstacles in place and teams formed we did our best to annihilate the competition.   I'm pretty sure out of the twenty or so games we played, I was only on the winning team twice.  Pretty sure I was a factor in my teams' ultimate demises.

 Ah, family togetherness.

Sorry it's sideways.

Megan did not make the Nerf war because she was attending a photo shoot with a photographer friend of ours (Marit Welker).  She spent most of the day at the shoot, but was the last to get photographed and it really didn't come together for her.  She did enjoy the company during the day though.

I hate to talk about the weather, but this January has been crazy.  It's been the coldest on record, and although we typically don't have snow that sticks around - we haven't been able to get rid of the snow so far.  It rained on the snow on Wednesday night leaving a thick coating of ice over everything:  cars, parking lots, roads, kids.  Oh course the buses were late and the kids left out in the cold too long, and (despite doing a snow dance) they held school anyway.  People were stranded on hills because their cars couldn't make it up the hills on the ice, and there were a fair number of accidents throughout the day.  Of course that day I planned to go to the temple, and thought twice about it, but in the end Scott accompanied me and all was well. 

I also gave blood this week.  Usually I hydrate really well, but forgot I had scheduled the donation.  I tried drinking some before I went, but it wasn't enough.  They had a tough time finding a vein and then proceeded to poke around in my arm every few minutes or so trying to get a better flow going.  They finally got enough, but my arm was sorer than usual when I was done.  I never get nauseous, but some poor lady was lying on the floor with her feet up when I got there.  I'm grateful for a strong constitution.  

The last few days we finally got above freezing and the snow has turned to slush.  The sidewalks are impossible to walk on, and the road is a mess.  Our cars are covered in muck and we have a large pool of water forming in front of our house that is an ice rink in the mornings; however, today the sky is blue and the sun is shinning and I am once again grateful and thankful the Lord sends us light to dispel the darkness.  



No comments: