Sunday, January 13, 2013

On what I relearned in church today and being grateful

Things I relearned at church today (it's not new, but it's good to be reminded):
  • Sundays are only a rest from our normal labors, not necessarily labor in general.  My Sundays always seem crazy busy.
  • My children are sometimes busier than me. (Megan had five meetings today)
  • We should remember that we are viewing life through our perspective and we should give others the same courtesy.  Before we judge someone harshly, we should take a moment and wonder how their life experience has brought them to believe the way they do.
  • TTT (Things Take Time) - own it and love it, it's true!
  • God works through small and simple things, confounding the wise and thwarting the wicked.
  • It is imperative that we continue to educate ourselves.  Never stop learning.
  • The spirit only works for us it we stop to listen.  The more we listen and acknowledge the spirit, the more we can rely on him and follow his guidance.
  • I do like to sing in choir - even if I'm not always spot on. 
Being busy on a Sunday sometimes makes me grumpy, and if you asked my family they would 100% agree with that statement today.  I really think I had less patience because I didn't let myself eat any of the cookies Kimber and I made.  That being said, I decided to think on things I was grateful for.  

Maybe I should say how grateful I was for good meetings today, or an engaging Primary class, or the beautiful hymn we are singing in choir, or the way the sun shone on the sparkling snow, or the blue skies after weeks of grey, or being able to park the car in the garage again, or the opportunities I have to serve as our ward's women's v-ball coach, or the good friendships I have (girls who make me exercise for my own good, and make me laugh when I'm down), or the blessing of having a son on a mission (and the joy I get from receiving his letters), or my sweet girls who are always ready to kiss my cheeks and give me a hug, or my good husband who loves us and really is trying to make things better for us, or being able to refrain from not eating the cookies Kimber made for BYD. There are so many reasons to be thankful - did I mention a warm house when temperatures are in the single digits?

 A friend and I walk in the morning (5:55 am), in the dark and cold and snow. We feel a bit like pioneers except we only have to walk three miles, don't have to carry anything, or worry about anyone freezing or dying, have plenty to eat when we get home, and are warm the whole time we are walking. OK so I guess we're not really pioneers, but we still pat ourselves on the back for getting up early and I really do appreciate a warm home.

Since I'm trying to get better about pictures and memories, I've added a picture of our first real snow of the year (and since it's so cold - I guess it's staying).  Thanks Scott for shoveling!


No comments: